Thursday, July 28, 2011

Relax-ing-ish

I'm housebound for the time being with my car at the spa getting her nails done. And home alone! I took some time to peak in on the garden.. sadly vegetables that are supposed to be notoriously easy to grow <i.e. ZUCCHINI!> are not making an appearance in my garden. So now my hopes lay in my MIL and FIL for a bumper crop of zucchini so I can make some bread and zucchini pancakes and zucchini faux crab cakes that we love so much. I also harvested a single cucumber...which I think I let go a bit too long because it's got a bottom like I *used* to. ;) And it's turning a yellowy color.. I'm not sure that's good. I'll find out when I bite into that sucker! I appear to have watermelons growing..teenie things the size of a 50 cent piece. They're still in little pots...mom, dad? Are you guys ready for them??
I don't think there's enough time for them to grow before the evil Frost comes back to visit. We'll see.
My second batch of carrots are growing nicely and I planted my third this past week. Two different varieties..one variety comes in a rainbow of colors. I'm very excited to see those.
I've also got buttnernut squash coming along VERY nicely...at least 3 if not more, from two plants. And then there's my five tomato plants...all doing very VERY well. And all going to turn red at the same time. lol oh well. Salsa may be in order...really it depends on the weather. I'm pretty exhausted still from all the strawberries I canned. But I am DEFINITELY getting some blueberries and some apples this fall to make into canned pie filling. I'm geeky excited about pie filling - it's the reason I learned how to can. Just so I could make pie filling. I was at our local health food store a few years back and saw this sexy jar of blueberry pie filling "Made in Maine" sticker with a simple homemade label...and I was totally won over. Except for the price. Which is why making your own is so much fun! That and the sharing bit. Last year I bought the special kind of pectin off the interwebs that you need for pie filling. It is not carried in stores.
I am so ready.
I'm also eating a taco for breakfast.
I cannot describe how badly I needed this time off. Thank you car, for needed a spa day!

No comments:

Post a Comment